Friday 23 July 2021

Missing Queensland birth, marriage and death index entries

(Image by Danilo Rizzuti, freedigitalphotos.net)
If you were unable to find an index entry for a Queensland birth in 1921, marriage in 1946 or death in 1991, try again!

A relative sent me a certificate for which there wasn't an entry in the online index. Puzzled, I contacted the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, who responded promptly.

  • Me: 'A relative sent me the attached birth certificate (Isabel Mary RIENECKER, born 4 Aug 1921). I have been unable to find this registration in the online index. Any thoughts?'

  • Registry: 'Great news! The issue behind why this record wasn't appearing in the Family History Research Service has been found and resolved.'

  • Me: 'Thanks very much for your prompt and efficient service. May I ask whether the same issue (whatever it was) is likely to have caused other index entries to be 'invisible'? I'm wondering how much time I should spend on repeating searches that were previously negative (which at the time I thought must be because the event was registered in the following year)?"

  • Registry: 'As a result of your email, we did discover a number of other records exported on 01/01/2021 are missing and need to re-export them. So thank you VERY much!'

When I checked a few hours later, I found another 1921 birth, plus my aunt's 1946 marriage, neither of which had previously appeared in search results. Now I'm off to look for missing 1991 deaths!

(More research tips are on my main Website. This post first appeared on https://qld-genealogy.blogspot.com/2021/07/missing-queensland-birth-marriage-and.html.)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this notice, Judy... seems I have some more searching to repeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Hopefully lots of family historians will now find index entries that were mysteriously missing.

      Delete

If you think we are related, or if you want to comment but cannot do so because of restrictions designed to block spam, please email me at the address shown here or on www.judywebster.com.au.